This sweet and salty ice cream sandwich, made with strawberry-flavored white chocolate and sprinkled with crispy pretzels, is sure to please.
Let us introduce you to strawberry ice cream sandwiches if you’re not familiar with them. Making this refreshing summer treat requires only a few common ingredients at any supermarket. Despite their simplicity, these desserts are as impressive and satisfying as those from more complicated recipes.
Cookies that are crunchy on the outside and pleasantly chewy in the middle make the greatest strawberry ice cream sandwich, in my opinion. However, if you don’t feel like making your own, I recommend picking up a package of pre-baked sugar cookies at the supermarket or a nearby bakery.
And if you ask me, the best strawberry ice cream is the one you like the most. Use a strawberry ice cream with strawberry chunks if you like biting into whole strawberries. This is the ice cream to use if you’re a fan of hot pink and excessive sugar. Although ice cream is available by the gallon, I prefer to use pints since they are easier to cut into rounds.
And if you’re seeking to spice things up, try this nostalgic take on ice cream sandwiches.
Recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream Snacks
- Strawberry ice cream, 2 pints’ worth
- A dozen sweet treats
- An entire bag of white chocolate chips (one cup)
- The 1 tablespoon worth of coconut oil
- Strawberries, freeze-dried, half a cup
- The equivalent of one-eighth of a teaspoon of kosher salt
- Mini pretzels (1 cup): crumbled
Step 1: Get the ice cream ready
Use a sharp bread knife to divide each pint of ice cream into three rounds of similar thickness. The rounds should be frozen for at least 2 hours, so I put mine on a parchment-lined baking sheet. You may use a gallon-sized ice cream container and a round ice cream sandwich scoop to create ice cream sandwiches.
Step 2: Put together the ice cream sandwiches
Place six sugar cookies, bottoms up, on a second baking sheet. Put ice cream scoops on the flat sides of the cookies, then cover them with the bottoms of the remaining 6 sugar cookies. Allow 2 hours for the mixture to freeze firm.
Step 3: Powder the strawberries
Put some strawberry freeze-drying into your little food processor. Refine till a powder forms.
Step 4: Make the chocolate drizzle
To a medium microwave-safe bowl, add white chocolate chips and coconut oil. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until it is completely melted and smooth. Blend in the strawberry powder and a pinch of kosher salt with a whisk.
Step 5: Decorating the ice cream sandwiches
Using a spoon, immediately drizzle the chocolate mixture over one sandwich, then sprinkle the pretzels on top. Sandwiches should be made again until all are used. Keep in the freezer until ready to use.
Suggestions for Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Refrigerate it. The ice cream must stay as cold as possible throughout this procedure. If the ice cream within the sandwiches is even slightly soft, don’t serve them. Once the ice cream has frozen firm, the ice cream sandwiches are ready to consume.
- The decorating must be done promptly. It’s best to decorate each ice cream sandwich separately. If you make the sandwiches ahead of time and freeze them, the chocolate drizzle will set in no time. So, to ensure the pretzels stay in the chocolate, sprinkle them on just after the drizzle.
- To make ice cream differently. Spread the ice cream onto a parchment-lined quarter sheet pan and freeze until firm if you can’t find pints or the scoop we specified in the equipment list. Once the sandwiches are prepared and frozen, cut the ice cream using a round cookie cutter or cutting into squares and trimming the corners.
- Substitute embellishment. Instead of using mayonnaise, dip the sandwiches in the strawberry chocolate mixture and then roll them in the broken pretzels for a fun new appearance, just like we do with our handmade ice cream sandwiches.